Freedom

January 19, 2017

Today I wanted to touch on somewhat of a lighter topic than my previous posts.  I realize that I can be a very dark and emotional person (because 99.9% of the time I am), and not everyone likes to read that stuff, so today I want to talk about the freedom we have.

            The inspiration of this post comes from the fact that I just finished my World History lesson for the day, which has been growing more and more depressing by the day.  Today I read about the Great Terror (for those who aren’t familiar, the Great Terror took went down in 1937 and 1938 in Russia under the rule of Joseph Stalin who followed the ideas of Communism and punished anyone who dared to go against him.  Similar to Adolf Hitler’s persecution of the Jews in Germany).   And I couldn’t help but think about the wonderful freedom we have here in America.

            Going back to the Great Terror (I might ramble about it because I’m a big History person), it’s hard to believe that millions of innocent people died in what was called the Gulag System, a prison labor camp where millions were worked to death with little or no food and water, not to mention the freezing conditions in Siberia where most of these camps were located.  Some of these people had a right to be there.  They were real criminals who had committed crimes such as murder and deserved to be there.  But most were innocent people such as farmers who wouldn’t give their crops to the government as Stalin had demanded.  They barely had enough food to provide for their families and were not about to give it up to the government.

            Why am I telling you all this sad and depressing History?  Well, I would hope that you already were thankful to live in a free country like America, but if you weren’t, I hope that this information makes you even more grateful.  Now obviously America, just like any other country, has experienced hardships as well, but none nowhere as near as bad as Russia, Germany, and many others.  We have been given rights here in America, such as the freedom of speech and the freedom for each person to choose their religion.

            Tomorrow (Friday, January 20) is Inauguration Day, the second reason why I chose to write about this.  Donald J. Trump will take the oath of office and become the next President of the United States.  I’m not going to go into politics right now because I’m so done with talking about it and if you know me, you already know my opinion (but let me know if you want another post on politics because I’d be more than happy to write it).  Anyway, back to what I was saying.  Some people are upset about the results of the election, but please remember that we are still a country.  We are still united under the Constitution and no president can ever change that.


            History shapes us.  It makes us who we are today.  We as humans are meant to make mistakes, and also to learn something from them.  I say this all the time, but there IS a reason for everything.  Things don’t just happen with no explanation.  Sometimes it is meant for us to know the explanation, other times we will never know.  All I can say is that the future of this country is not in the hands of the President.  Our country was founded on the grounds of Christianity.  Whether you choose to believe or not is something only you can decide, but Christians know that God has a plan for this country, as well as every other country on Earth and no person can ever change that.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Like My Facebook Page