Why I started a YouTube channel

February 12, 2019


Hey guys,

So as you may (or may not) know, I recently started my YouTube channel.  This is something I said I’d probably never do, so I’m sure you’re probably very confused.  Therefore, I wanted to make this post and kind of explain my thought process and why I finally decided to start one.

First of all, I know what you’re thinking because I believe I’ve said several times on here that I’d never do YouTube.  You can even go back and probably find where I said I’d never do it, but guess what?  Sometimes I change my mind (a lot, actually.)  The reason why is because as much as I enjoy writing and blogging, I felt as if I needed another space to create.  Almost as if I was in a room that was too small and needed to upgrade to a bigger one to have more room.

            For the past few months I’ve been going through something really strange.  And the reason I say strange is because my life has been so amazing and everything has been going really well, but it felt as if something was missing.  I felt like I needed something new, something to give me purpose.  I think one of the reasons I felt this way was because the people around me were thriving in their hobbies, businesses, or whatever they were doing, which is great, but I felt like I didn’t have anything like that. 

            I know you’re thinking “but Megan, you have a blog, you write,” and that is all very true and I LOVE what I do, but my heart just wasn’t in it for a while.  Maybe you’ve noticed my lack of posts recently.  My views have gone down and I think it was because I wasn’t putting my full effort into my posts, I would just write something so I would have something to post.  It was just hard watching other people becoming so successful and I felt like I was burning out or going the opposite direction.

            Now I’ve always enjoyed watching YouTube videos.  Whenever I have free time I love watching vlogs, tutorials, and lifestyle related videos.  However, I never thought I would ever do it.  I wasn’t comfortable in front of a camera and I just didn’t know where to start.  One day I was watching Eva Gutowski (one of the first YouYubers I started watching actually.  LOVE her) and she was experimenting with a new style of vlogging, one that had more cinematic shots in it (link to that video here to explain what I'm talking about.)  I was super inspired after watching it and I thought to myself, well why can’t I do that?

            And after that, the rest was history.  Now if you have already watched my first video (which if you’re here then why haven’t you?), I’d just like to say I have a long way to go.  I filmed everything myself which took a long time, along with editing which took at least 4 hours (learning how to edit took the longest.)  So yes, my first few videos will probably be slightly lower quality until I figure everything out.  I’m looking forward to learning more about filming and editing, as well as investing in better equipment.

            I’m super excited for what this new project has in store.  I have so many things planned that I want to film (my graduation, any trips I go on, prom vlog) and I feel like this will help my blog as well because you guys will know me on a whole new level.  Most of all, I want to inspire people with this channel.  I want to talk about things, share stories, and anything else you guys want me to do.  This is for me, but it’s also for you too.

            I’m not sure how often I’ll post and what not (of course I decide to start making videos and then it rains for literally a week straight), but I am so excited to be doing this.  Things might get a little crazy when I’m in college, working, blogging, and making videos but I’m going to figure it out somehow.  So far I’m enjoying it far more than I thought I would and I’m so excited to see where this goes.  I feel like 2019 is going to be one of the best years ever.  And I’m so grateful for everyone who has already watched my video and all the compliments I’ve received.  I hope my content on my channel as well as on my blog will get a lot better and I look forward to sharing more of my life with you.







You Might Also Like

1 Comments

Like My Facebook Page