The Secrets to Being Independent

January 31, 2017

            (I forgot that yesterday was Monday to be completely honest.  I wrote this on Saturday and it is now Tuesday when I’m posting this)       

            It is currently midnight on Saturday and since I have received 0 messages from friends all day, I decided to write a post.

            No I’m not complaining in the slightest.
            Everyone needs time away from other humans.
            And quite honestly, I like being alone.
            But yeah, it hurts when no one wants to know how your day is going.

            But it’s okay.  I understand it’s embarrassing to be friends with me in the first place and I understand it hurts your social reputation.  I get it.  I know it’s embarrassing for you to post a photo with me because someone might see it and unfollow you because of it.  I guess that’s the way friendship works these days.  Very sad and disappointing really.

            But that’s not actually what I wanted to talk about.  Like I said, no one cared to ask me how I’m feeling so I have to vent somewhere.  I’m actually not the weak b**ch people make me out to be.  In fact, I’m probably the most independent woman you’ll ever meet.  Definitely the most sarcastic.  I’m also kind of funny sometimes.  Still, I’m not good enough to hang out with the “cool” people, but that’s okay because they probably don’t even know the difference between a minor and major scale.

            Okay, enough about my sad, depressing social life.  Now let’s talk about you.
            I want you to put your hand on your heart.  Right now.  Put down your device and put your hand on your heart.  You want to know something?  That heart belongs to you.  You.  Not your mother, not your father, not your best friend.  It’s yours.  Now feel your arms, your legs, your stomach, your hair.  Those things are yours too.  They belong to you.

            How you choose to express yourself is your choice.  What clothes you wear, how you style your hair, everything.  You are meant to be your own person.  It’s normal to want to be like everyone else.  It’s normal to want to be “cool” and wear that brand of cosmetics everyone is raving over, or wear the same style of shirt that everyone loves.  You want to fit in, right?

            Let me tell you the first secret: “cool” isn’t cool anymore.

            I know, shocker right?  Let me tell you something.  People who do everything the same as everyone else are not cool.  It’s like you’re trying so hard to be “as good” as them, but really it makes you look weak and it’s not going to get you anywhere.  In fact, the so-called “cool” people will probably laugh at you and you’ll go home crying.  And that’s not what you want.

            So be a trend setter.  Do things different that show YOUR personality and not someone else’s.  Copying someone else’s personality and making it yours is being fake.  Don’t be fake.  Please.  I’ve met way too many fake people and I really feel sorry for their lack of self-confidence.  Develop your own unique personality that makes everyone else want to copy you.  This is a huge part of becoming independent.

            Next, be outgoing.  Yes, all you introverts, I’m talking specifically to you.  This is really hard, especially for the shy ones.  So here’s your challenge: next time you’re in a public setting, don’t sit with the same people you always sit with.  And most of all, don’t go hide in a corner and not talk to anyone else.  Sit next to someone you don’t know.  I know, it’s super scary but this is how people meet their soulmates and best friends.  BRANCH OUT.

            Developing your own personal style is a huge part of being independent.  Yes, this is for all the guys out there too.  Style is important.  Wear things that you feel comfortable in and things that make you stand out from everyone else.  If everyone else is wearing a purple sweater, DON’T WEAR A PURPLE SWEATER.  Being different is essential to being independent.  Your style is what everyone sees when they look at you so make it something you want people to recognize you for. 

            Being independent takes time, but I promise you that you’ll feel so much better about yourself in the end.  Every process is a learning experience, and one you will be glad for in the end.  Keep growing, keep changing.  And most of all, love every moment along the way.

            Before I go, I want to share a song with you.  This has been one of my favorite songs for a long time and I love the message in it!  I thought it would be fitting for this post:).




            Also, I wanted to tell you that I have decided to only post on Thursday from now on. My schedule has been pretty busy and I want to make sure I post on the days I tell you I’m going to post, so from now on posts are going up on Thursdays.  Thank you so much for all your support and reading my posts!!

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Like My Facebook Page