Love Part 1: Family

February 04, 2018


Love Part One: Family

“But if anyone does not provide for his own, especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” 1 Timothy 5:8

Hello and welcome! Today is a very exciting day because this is the first part of a series I will be doing for the month of February.  Not only that, but this is the first series I’ve EVER done so I’m very excited.  

I’ve seen other bloggers do this and I’ve wanted to do a series for a while, but I wasn’t sure what it would be about.  I needed a topic that I would be able to cover in multiple posts and something that I’m passionate about .  It came to me while I was lying in bed one night.  I was thinking about Valentine’s Day and brainstorming for ideas of what I could write about for my blog.  Then I thought “what if instead of one post, I make a series for Valentine’s Day?”

So here I am now.  Over the next few weeks we will:

  • Look at what is love according to the Bible
  • Look closely at different connections with people in your life
  • Examine what it means to be loved by others
  • Examine what it means to be loved by God

This series will be weekly, so there will be a new blog post up every Sunday.  Also, feel free to start a discussion in the comments.  I would love to hear from you!

Now let’s finally dive into this thing called love.  We’re going to start by defining love.  First, let’s see what the dictionary has to say about it.

Love- an intense feeling of deep affection

Does this definition surprise you?  I think it gets pretty close to the point.  After all, love is a feeling, right?   The thing is feelings are different for everyone. People also express feelings differently.  Have you ever heard of someone talk about “love languages”?  Love languages are how each person expresses love.  For an example, someone might perform an act of kindness, like doing the dishes for your parents or cleaning the house for your wife.  If you like to do things like that, that would be your love language. Some might like to give their loved ones gifts.  That’s also an expression of love and a love language.

Some other common forms of showing affection (love language):
  •  Words of affirmation
  •  Physical touch
  •  Quality time


Leave a comment below and let me know what your love language is!  I’d love to know.

Now that we’ve talked about what love is and learned about the love languages, I think it’s time to talk about the real first topic in this series: family.  I put family first because that’s obviously higher on the list than some of the others.  Why?  Because your family are the people who share your blood, who share your same last name (in most cases), that you probably live with, that you’ve grown up with.  Your family is probably the people you spend the most time with.  And let’s be real, we all get annoyed with our family sometimes.  Okay, maybe a lot more often than sometimes.  But that just goes to show that even families aren’t perfect.

What saddens me is that there are so many families that are torn apart in some way.  Most of the time this is caused by the parents.  Divorce rates are extremely high these days, and the worst part about divorce is that it affects the children just as much as the marriage.  Children with divorced parents usually are more distrusting and tend to be more aggressive towards their peers (clearly this is not the case for everyone). There are other things that can tear families apart such as the military, and busy jobs or jobs with a lot of traveling.

A strong, healthy family is centered around God.  The Bible says in Joshua 24:15, “as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”  If a family serves and honors the Lord, they will have a firm foundation in their home.

Love takes patience, especially when it comes to family.  That’s why I think the two values go hand in hand.  I’ll be talking a lot about patience in this series, so get used to it now.  It’s just almost like you can’t have one without the other.  Just as it says “love is patient”.  It takes a patient person to love, and love requires a lot of patience sometimes. 

Your family should come before anything else in your life, next to your relationship with the Lord.  It’s something that you should treasure and put effort into.  Not every family is perfect, but if you put God in the center and foundation of your relationship with your family, He will bless you with good things in your life.


  

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Like My Facebook Page