A College Life Update

October 28, 2019





I wish every week was fall break.

Unfortunately, it’s only this week, BUT I am so excited to sit down and talk to you guys.  I realized that I’m halfway through my first semester of college (which is crazy) and I haven’t given you an update of how it’s going, so I thought I would do that today.  Many people have been asking (and by many people I mean like 5) how I’m adjusting to this new lifestyle, so that’s what I’m going to be talking about in this post.

            I had a rough start.  I’m not going to candy coat any part of this because I want to be real.  I sort of expected the change wouldn’t be easy, but those first few weeks I felt like I was being thrown into an unfamiliar ocean and had to figure out how to swim.  Eventually I did figure it out, otherwise I wouldn’t be sitting here telling you this.  Needless to say, I had a very difficult time getting started.  I wasn’t prepared for how much time I would spend on homework and how hard it would be to just find some sort of a balance between school, work, and having a social life.

            This semester I am taking 15 credit hours, which I feel is about the average course load.  The way my school does classes, there are 8-week classes and 16-week classes.  It’s honestly all very confusing, but to sum it up, 8-week classes are basically 16-week classes done in 8 weeks, which also means twice the amount of homework.  I would say I spend about 8-10 hours on homework a week, depending on how much work there is/what the assignments are.  It’s very difficult to tell exactly how much time I spend on it because my days are full of other things.  On top of sitting in class for 15 hours a week, I’ve also been working 15 and a half hours each week. 

It’s a lot.  That’s why I’m so happy I can slow down and breathe this week.

            I actually don’t mind staying busy.  I’ve developed a pretty consistent routine, which is what I lacked in the beginning.  I’m the type of person who must follow their routines, otherwise I don’t know what to do with myself.  Routines are a huge part of my life.  It took me about a month and a half to develop a solid routine to accommodate my new busy schedule.  I made a video on my YouTube channel where I show you what it’s like to be me for a day.  You can check that video out here.

            I think one of the biggest things that’s kept me on track (besides lots of coffee) is staying healthy, mentally and physically.  I use the tips I talked about in my last post almost daily and I’m way less stressed when I have my life planned and organized.  I’ve been doing my best to become a morning person (still working on that part of my new routine) so I can get up, go to the gym, and then come back and get some tasks knocked out before I have to go to class or work.  I’ve also been trying to stay on a healthy diet.  This isn’t easy because I don’t have a lot of time to make good healthy meals.  I try not to eat out more than necessary, and I try to meal prep on Sundays so I can just grab and go during the week.  I think for me, staying healthy is super important to being successful.

            On the upside of things, I am truly thriving.  I don’t mean that I’m happy all the time every day, but in general I’m at a good place in life.  In college I feel like I’m actually getting somewhere; I feel like I’m one step closer to where I want to be and sometimes that’s the only motivation factor that keeps me going.  When times get rough, I have to stop and think about how far I’ve come already and stay focused on my goals and what I have to do to get there.  Sometimes it’s difficult to stay focused, sometimes I question what it is that I’m really working towards, and sometimes I just want to quit.  When that happens, I remind myself how far I’ve come and that I’m on the right path to where I want to be.

            No one ever said college is easy.  Because it’s not.  It’s hard, it’s stressful, and it’s honestly. just. exhausting.  But I know that I’m doing the right thing and I’m grateful that I am even able to go get further education.  I value education more than almost anything because I know it’s what will get me to where I want to be in life. 

            Thank you guys so much for following along with me throughout this journey and I’ll talk to you in my next post!


You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Like My Facebook Page