7 Ways to Make The Most of Your Day

October 14, 2019


7 Ways to Make the Most of Your Day


Welcome back!

Ah it feels so good to be writing blog posts again.  As you know, I ended my series #HowISurvivedHighSchool and took off the rest of the summer to focus on my YouTube channel and to take some time off before I started *shudder* college.  College as been an experience so far, to say the least, but that’s a post for another time.  Today I want talk to you about my secrets to have a good day.


Let me just start off with a little disclaimer: it doesn’t matter if you follow all these steps or not, whether you have a good day or not depends ultimately on YOU.  You get to dictate your mood and decide how you’re going to go about your day.  These tips that I’m about to share are merely just to help motivate you and push you along if you get what I mean.



Tip #1: Get up early

            You’ve probably already clicked off this post after reading this but just hear me out: waking up early is an absolute life changer.  It’s up to you to decide what time is right for you to get up (I’d strongly recommend before 8:00.)  Whatever works best for you, and it may take some time for your body to get used to your new routine so try setting your alarm 15-20 minutes earlier each day until you can successfully (and by successfully I mean reluctantly rolling out of bed after you’ve already thought about going back to sleep at least 3 times.)  This has seriously changed my life and sets the tone for the day.  As a bonus, if you get up early enough you can watch the sunrise which is hands down my favorite part of my day.



Tip #2: Make a plan

This step is super important in the formula to having a good day.  Plan, plan, plan. I’ve developed a pretty good system for planning since I’ve started college.  I want to do a more in-depth video on how I stay organized on my YouTube channel sometime, but basically, I have a daily to-do list and a weekly/monthly planner.  I make out a to-do list each day (I like to do it the night before) of things I want to get done each day and then in my planner I keep my appointments, class schedule, work schedule, and assignment deadlines for school.  I’ve found this system works well for me, but it’s all about finding one that works for you and your lifestyle.  However you choose do it, make a plan for each day to keep yourself on track.  Having a game plan on how you’re going to tackle all your projects eliminates stress and you won’t be so overwhelmed.



Tip #3: Make Every Second Count  

If you didn’t know how to multi-task before, you’re going to need to learn now.  This has been my number one motto ever since I started college.  You can’t make the 24 hours in a day any longer or shorter, but you can learn how to make the most of the time you have.  For an example, I do my reading assignments while I walk on the treadmill at the gym.  That may seem slightly extreme, but it’s about maximizing your use of time.  Do you spend 40 minutes driving to school/work every day?  Record your notes/lecture and listen to them while you drive.  You just freed up the time it would take you to study separately and that time is now available for another task.  Make your grocery list while you wait for your laundry to be done in the washing machine.  Study during your lunch break.  Time management is the key here.


Tip #4: Take Breaks

Have you ever spent four hours on something and then end up too tired to do anything else afterwards?  Yeah, me too.  This is why it’s important to take breaks every once and awhile to relax and clear your head.  For an example, you might spend 45 minutes working on something and then take a 10-minute break.  I do this when I study.  It’s good for your mind/body to rest for short periods of time before continuing with the task.  It can also be helpful to switch up tasks that require a long amount of time to complete.  Switch over to something else and pick back up on that project later.  The point is, we get tired very fast if we do the same thing for too long.  By taking breaks and switching tasks, it helps with focus and gives you some time to step away from the task and recharge.



Tip #5: Do Not Procrastinate

I repeat: if you want to make the most of your day, DO. NOT. PROCRASTINATE.  This is the weakness of probably every single human being, including myself.  The key to not procrastinating is to get the task over with as soon as possible, leaving little to no time for your brain to think about it and try to talk you out of it.  A big part of avoiding procrastination is to eliminate distractions.  Distractions are people, objects, and noises that prohibit you from accomplishing your task.  When I’m studying or trying to get something done, I usually sit in my room alone and with my phone out of reach.  That way I’m not tempted to check it and get distracted from what I’m working on.  Find the right space to work and make sure all distractions are limited.  



Tip #6: Find Balance

I’ve recently discovered this is the ultimate trick to having a happy, healthy life (well, one of the tricks.)  Balance is key.  You will get nowhere if you put all your time and energy into one aspect of your life (school, work, family, friends.)  Those may seem like a lot of things to balance but finding that balance is super important in your everyday life.  Devote certain times to the different areas of your life.  This is where planning comes in.  Plan out the time you can spend on school or at work and also make sure to block out time to spend with family and friends.  I know your social life might seem like the least important part of your life, but trust me, if you isolate yourself you will not exceed at anything else.  I learned that lesson the hard way.  Find the right balance in your life.



Tip #7: Have A Daily Cut-off Time

What is a cut-off time, you might ask?  A cut-off time is the time when your school, work, and social part of the day ends.  My cut-off time is 10:00.  After that, I don’t do anything school, work, or socially related.  This is “your time.”  I would recommend setting this time about an hour before you plan to go to bed.  This is when you are free to binge any show you want, read your favorite book, and anything else that YOU want to do.  Have you gotten the hint that the keyword here is YOU? You need to devote time that is only for you.  It’s also a time for your brain to unwind from the day as you prepare to sleep.  I believe having this time is an essential part of having a successful day and sets the mood for having a successful next day.

Those are my tips for how to make the most of your day.  I hope this leaves you feeling motivated and maybe encouraged you to try incorporating some of these strategies into your daily life.  If you have some of your own, drop them in the comments below.  I will talk to you guys in my next post!



You Might Also Like

2 Comments

Like My Facebook Page