My Trip To Washington, D.C.!

May 14, 2018




(Disclaimer: nothing said here is to “brag” about what I have been fortunate enough to experience.  I wrote this because I know some people like reading these types of posts.  Please feel free to click away at any time you wish).
My Trip To Washington, D.C.!

What’s up everyone?  I hope you’ve been doing well.  I know I’ve been happy to finally see some sunny days and warm weather, and I’m also happy because guess what?  I just got back from vacation!

I’ve wanted to do a travel post for so long now, but the problem was I didn’t travel anywhere.  UNTIL NOW.  So now I’m so excited to tell you all about where I went and what I did while I was there.  Being in high school, it’s a little harder to travel because of many factors, but I’m always thankful for every trip I’m able to go on.  One of my goals for in the future is to travel more (maybe visit another country someday?), so if you like this post please let me know if you’d like to see more travel posts in the future!

So without reading the title of the post (which you probably already have if you’ve made it this far), can you guess where I went?  If you said Washington, D.C., you win the prize (the joke’s on you though because there is no prize).  Anyway, yes I went to Washington, D.C. for the first time a few weeks ago with my family, for a few days.  I thought I’d spend today telling you about my experience there.

Day 1
So on the first full day there (Sunday), we had planned to spend the morning going around and visiting the monuments.  The problem, however, was that it was VERY windy (and just for the record, I’ve been to Chicago too and D.C. was the windiest place I’ve ever been in my life).  So instead, we went to the Museum of Modern History.  I have to say though, that for a Smithsonian, it definitely wasn’t the coolest museum I’ve ever been to.  It had some things that were interesting, but for me it was just another museum.

            After eating lunch there (we packed sack lunches every day we were there), we headed over to the National Archives.  For me it was a super cool experience to be able to see the founding documents.  Obviously I’ve read them in school, but it was a completely different experience to actually see the original documents and read the real handwriting.  We didn’t spend a lot of time in the rest of the building, but it was nothing special anyway.

            After that we spent the rest of the day going to the monuments that we were supposed to go to in the morning.  The weather was slightly better (and less windy) in the late afternoon.  Instead of walking, though, we rode the Metro bus around to each stop (which saved my poor legs a few steps). 






Day 2
            In the morning, we hit up the Museum of Natural History.  Again, I wasn’t too impressed.  I did like it better than the modern history one, however (probably because they had live fish).  We at lunch there then took a bit of a hike to the other side of town, where we got a glimpse of the White House.  It was pretty far away, but now at least I can say I’ve seen it.

            After that we went to what was probably the coolest place I’ve ever been on earth.  If you go to Washington, D.C., make sure you go to the Renwick Art Museum.  I’ve never been a huge fan of art museums in general, but the stuff in this place is unlike any art you’ll ever see.  I’ll let the pictures do the talking on this one….  

When we got done at the art museum, we went and ate at a restaurant called “Old Ebbitt Grill”.  10/10 would recommend eating there if you’re ever in the area.  I got the turkey burger (also would recommend) and it was delicious.  So that was about it for day two.






Day 3
Tuesday, on our last full day in D.C., we went to the Arlington National Cemetery in the morning.  While we were there, we got to watch the “changing of the guard” ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider (and if you don’t know what that is, I’d recommend looking it up online and watching a video of it).  There are so many soldiers buried at Arlington, many who have served in more than one of the wars.  It’s not the most “fun” or “exciting” thing to see in Washington, but it’s well worth the visit.

In the afternoon, we got to take a tour of the Capitol building.  This was super cool because even though we didn’t get to see all of it, we got to see the Rotunda, along with two other rooms.  The art and structure inside the building is extremely unique, and it’s something to definitely try to do if you’re planning a Washington, D.C. trip.  The tour is electronic, so it’s easy to hear the person talking, while looking around at the same time.

The last place we visited was the Library of Congress.  This was probably my second favorite part of the whole trip, because the inside of it is pretty cool.  You are even able to see part of Thomas Jefferson’s famous book collection, and (through glass) are able to see the main part of the building.




That about wraps up the summary of what we did in Washington, D.C..  While it wasn’t my favorite trip I’ve been on, it is well worth a visit once in your lifetime.  There is an extremely large amount of history held there, and we barely even saw a fraction of it.  But overall, I had a great time there and I’m very grateful to have had the opportunity to go.


You Might Also Like

5 Comments

Like My Facebook Page